JMonkey Performance Updates

I received a couple emails of people asking me if the test I did was with “static” geometry.

JMonkey has this notion of setting a mesh as “static” which allows the engine to optimize the mesh since you won’t be changing it frequently.  The tests I did were strictly with “dynamic” meshes, I wanted to test the straight throughput without any mesh restrictions.  

For those interested, I did the same test after setting the mesh to static and was able to render around 24 million triangles at the same framerate.  This is just a little over double what I was able to achieve with the dynamic mesh.

I have a couple more performance experiments coming, but there are some more urgent projects that are requiring my attention (including a couple that are requiring me to produce some music, more to come later!)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>